Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Private Sketch Diary of Sarah

I found this yesterday in my cleaning spree, I have to say, it’s brilliant.

I particularly like that this one says "Touch and Die." My sister pointed out that she used to look at this a lot and never once died.

The drawings in here are HYSTERICAL.  In the back, there are about 40 pages of “Before” and “After” style makeovers, sort of like my own version of “What Not Wear.”  I scanned some of the drawings for your benefit.

A self-portrait

There are about 2o self-portraits in this sketchbook alone.  I really love the fact that this one features me in one of my favorite outfits, a pair of white denim short overalls with purple flowers, which I believe were from OshKosh B’Gosh.  I’m not sure why I loved these things so much, but I wore them everywhere, they showed off my tan, they hit my fat stomach (or at least I thought they did) and they were easy to throw on with a pair of sandals and a t-shirt.

I’m also going to go out on a limb here and say for a picture that was dated 1995 (for whatever reason, my younger self was convinced that one day there would be a retrospective of my work, so dates are EXTREMELY necessary), that my 8 year-old self did a pretty accurate impression of me.  I was certainly no Picasso, but this is a pretty accurate representation.

You’ll also notice that my arms are folded behind my back.  In later pictures you’ll see that I do this a lot.  I probably still do this when I draw people because I inevitably screw up the proportions and they end up having giant King-Kong sized hands on normally proportioned bodies.

A portrait of my dear friend Kate

My "other best friend" Lauren, or La

This picture on the right is a portrait of my dear friend Kate.  My note in the lower right-hand corner calls Kate “My best friend.”  This is accurate, in fact, she’s still my friend.  On the next page, however, there is another picture of my friend Lauren, with a similar note, only it reads “my other best friend.”

When I put these on facebook yesterday, La wanted to know if being the “other” best friend meant that she was in some way inferior.  On the contrary, I was just apparently so popular that I was lucky enough to have not one, but two “best friends” to split friendship necklaces with and to dance around play with that I needed to let the world know that they both existed.  Something tells me if I had drawn Lauren on the first page and Kate on the second, Kate may very well have been the “other best friend.”  The beauty of this finding though is now I don’t have to worry about what to get my nearest and dearest for their next birthday or gift-giving occasion.  They’re getting one-of-a-kind Sarah Morgans, framed, and signed by by 8 year-old self.  Lucky them.

For my last masterpiece of the evening (fear not, there will be more, this was just one sketchbook and I got tired of scanning), I leave you with “The Friends Music,” which I’m certain was inspired by the Spice Girls, even though we’re dressed like ABBA.

Matching outfits? Bell-bottoms? Big hair? I love it.

I vaguely recall plotting with my friend Alex, on the left and my sister about starting our own girl band.  I’m certain this was influenced by the Spice Girls and our desire to spread “Girl Power” far and wide.  I cannot, however, carry a tune in a bucket (though I don’t let this stop me from participating in karaoke), but this is probably not enough to prevent me from being a member of a successful girl pop band.  It would seem as though this isn’t really a problem for the Jonas Brothers either.   If we had become a band, you can be assured that we would have dressed like this, Kate with her beehive, Alex with her processed crunchy curls and me with a haircut that looks like I should be in the cast of Beverly Hills 90210.

Perhaps I ought to consider these sketches as a starting point for my A-Ha! moment hunt.  Maybe the secret lies in ranking your best friends or wearing matching outfits and starting a girl band.

[Via http://sothensarahsaid.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment