Thursday, December 31, 2009

DC Museums and Social Media: A New Year's Resolution

While several friends have vowed to curb their Internet/Twitter/iPhone habits in 2010 to reclaim a modicum of face time with friends and family, I’m thinking I need to be more electronically plugged in to DC’s arts and culture scene. A great place to start: DCist’s handy round-up of local museums’ podcasts, blogs and Twitter feeds.

I’m already a Facebook fan of the Freer-Sackler Gallery and the National Gallery of Art, but in truth I’m still getting a lot of my museum news through (increasingly old school) e-newsletters. Not to say that e-newsletters don’t serve a purpose: The Freer-Sackler sent me a year-end fundraising plea just this afternoon, and I succumbed, much as I do after a week of listening to public radio pledge drive banter.

As for blogs, I often skim the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the National Portrait Gallery blogs, which include cool stuff like this time lapse video of shadows moving across the Kogod Courtyard, one of my favorite public spaces in Washington.

The Smithsonian’s Around the Mall blog is also worth checking out, for exhibit updates and quirky behind-the-scenes stories like this post on a couple who recently got engaged at the National Museum of Natural History (in the museum’s forensic lab? really?)

For sheer numbers of followers, however, the reigning champ on the DC museum circuit has got to be the National Zoo’s Pandacam, trained on our beloved Tai Shan, who will soon depart for China. Yes, he’s chomping bamboo as I type. Just try not to click on that link.

Photo by tklancer via Flickr.

[Via http://dcmuseumgoer.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment