Thursday, November 12, 2009

Google Yourself Before Applying for Jobs

Today, in two separate classes, I had teachers mention the importance of googling your own name to see what appears in the search results. I felt like they concentrated on the negative–”Make sure you know that whatever goes on Facebook is public domain and might show up in the results,” they both said. My Media Ethics teacher seemed to stress the importance of staying off social networks altogether to avoid things showing up on Google.

As usual, I disagree with him.

In the communications industry, people want to see that you can communicate. And in this day and age, that means being able to communicate efficiently on the Internet. You better believe that to any job you apply your potential employer will be finding you on the Internet to try and get a feel for who you are. So the last couple months I have been trying to tailor my Google results to showcase what I want them to, and I think you should consider it too.

1) Expand your online footprint.

If you are a PR person and you aren’t on Twitter… well, what are you waiting for? My Twitter account is the second item that shows up on a Google search, and on my Twitter profile I have included a link to my LinkedIn page. You aren’t on LinkedIn, either? Take some time a sign up; upload a resume and find some current or previous coworkers to connect with.

2) Check out every link that shows up on Google.

I have a Flixter account that shows up on page one of the search results. I rarely go on it, but I clicked on it and browsed through just to see if there were anything that might be frowned upon (all I found was that someone might realize I have an affinity for cheesy Amanda Bynes movies and a huge crush on Johnny Depp.)

Browse through all your Internet profiles and accounts to make sure you don’t have anything posted that might scare off a potential employer. You want to showcase your personality, so it is best to cover all your bases.

3. Create a public Google profile.

I am really surprised more people haven’t done this. Earlier this year/end of last year, Google jumped on the profile bandwagon and now allows you to create a profile with your name, photo, contact information, links and any other info you might want to share. It shows up in search results when someone Googles your name. This is especially great if you have a more common name and are having a hard time getting your results to show up on the first couple pages.

So there. Three tips from yours truly. More suggestions are welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment