Sunday, November 15, 2009

Facebook

Right now I’m having a conversation with my good friend Sam about what Facebook means to us now, and he’s got me thinking.

I started using Facebook back in 2006 and quickly became hooked. Back then it was solely for university students and graduates who still had access to their university email accounts, and for a time it was good. There were no applications either. Just a brilliant way to keep in touch with friends.

But then came the trickle of applications, and for a time it was good. Facebook was opened up to the masses, and it really took off.

Then came the design changes, which I more or less liked. But then came the errors, the unstable servers, the stupid apps, and the general annoyances which accompany Facebook to this day.

So what do I do on Facebook? I do the following on a daily basis:

  • play Mafia Wars, which in itself is utterly pointless as it’s a never-ending game
  • update my status several times, which I can also do on Twitter

 

That’s about it. If I do any traveling I’ll upload my photos to Facebook, but that’s always a tad pointless when I have a Flickr pro account and upload all of my photos to there anyway, which are shown in all their glory.

Once a week I play Premier League Picks, but then I also play Fantasy Football via Sky Sports and premierleague.com.

I barely do anything else on Facebook, yet I spend a disproportionate amount of time on it. I check it countless times a day from my computer and iPhone.

And for what? Twitter does status updates better, Flickr does photos better, and Sky Sports and premierleague.com do fantasy football better.

No comments:

Post a Comment