Sunday, March 21, 2010

Leaving Facebook



你们好 or Greetings,

I have been toying with this idea for a long time. In some ways it was one of the harder decisions that I have had to make in a long time, but nonetheless I have done it. I have removed myself from the largest social networking site, Facebook.

I used to be a huge promoter and supporter of the website. I loved how you can see updates, pictures, and videos from all of your friends. I liked that people could see what I was up to without me having to be at the computer or phone the same time they were. I liked the idea of FB so much that I bought a $60 service so I could update it while I am in China.

I liked Facebook, but does it add any real value to my interactions with my friends and family? Does the one thousandth request for Mafia Wars do anything for me? Do I really want to be friends with that person I met once ten years ago? Do people care what I did over the weekend or what I am going to eat for dinner? Is it good to have passive relationships with hundreds of people and not really e-mail, call or write to those who are supposed to be close to you?

I have found out about death, marriage and children via Facebook. These used to be meaningful events in peoples’ lives that used to warrant a letter, a visit or a call. Now it seems all information is routed via Facebook and open for the world. I suppose I am nostalgic for the times my mailbox (real and digital) had some substantial information in it or when people used to talk and not text. I also realize that it has been a long time since I have put much effort in my correspondence. With these things in mind I took the leap.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not holier than thou. I like surfing FB and FB stalking my friends as much as the next person, but does it make my friendships or me any better? I suppose we will see. I deleted my account without the contact information of a lot of my friends so I hope this hasn’t disconnected us indefinitely. The plan is to try to stay off FB and see how it goes. Is it possible to be unplugged and still keep up with friends and family? We will see.

I hope to hear from you soon and you can expect a letter from me.

m

[Via http://kandm1.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment